Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Vermont Primary Comes and Goes

Well our little Vermont primary that nobody cares about (actually this year they did care a little about) has come and gone. I proudly walked into the Sheldon school and gave Ron Paul some love. I flirted with Mike Huckabee, but in the end I decided to vote my consistent pro-life convictions (which means a very conservative approach to war..I like the Catholic notion of a "just war").

As far as the general election goes, here is where I am at.

If the Dem. nominee is Hillary, I will vote against her with every ounce of strength that I have. That means a no-brainer vote for McCain. I consider the family Clinton and the family Soprano moral equivalents.

If the Dem. nominee is Obama, I will probably wait until close to election day to decide. The only way I could vote for Obama is if I conclude that killing soldiers is a much higher moral issue than killing babies (which is very much doubtful but I put it out there as a possibility).

However, my conscience against killing soldiers might prohibit me from voting for McCain. So that would mean the possibility of an alternative party.

So the factors that I will think about until November are:
* Between now and November, have I found a good reason for voting against Obama.
* Is there an alternative candidate out there that I really like. In other words, has either the Libertarian or Constitution party nominated someone half-way serious instead of a bozo (Ron Paul as a Libertarian would be great).
* How do I view the current status in Iraq. There is no doubt (to me anyway) that this was a blunder of the first degree. However now that we are there, is it (a) a hopeless quagmire (b) a winnable conflict that we are very close to winning (remember even though it was a mistake imho, it does not mean that once we are in the war I am not pulling for success..it is not as though we are on the side of moral evil there..contrary to what the left believes). I go back and forth between the two views.

No comments: